Monday, August 22, 2011

Interracial Relationships (Black Girls and White Guys)

Okay, I really wanted to upload a video on this, because I have so many feelings toward this topic, but I am in noooo shape for anyone to see me now and for my laziness, I will instead write it out :)

My first question to myself is, "Why am I constantly seeing white girls and black guys, but not vise versa?" It never bugged me, but when I ask around, people just shrug their shoulders as if they've never thought about it - or otherwise, that they dont care. >insert very aggravated face<
Well, I care. Why are white women so content to date outside of their race, and not black women. Then, I thought about possible reasons. I once asked my friend Kristin why she dated a black guy - not offensively, just out of curiosity. She stared off in space for a while, and said, "I don't know. It's just different I guess. My dad would never actually feel comfortable with someone 'darker'." she looked a bit sheepish, "And he has great muscles."

Then, it hit me! I got a lot of information out of two things that she said in her explanation.
1. She said that her father wouldn't feel comfortable with the idea, and that he would rather have her date someone else. I believe that he had no intent on racism, but it still stings when people say stuff like that. Especially with no logical reason.
Now, I know you may say that it could be just her, how can I make a general statement like this? - The answer to that is that she is not the only one I've asked and I have heard that answer about 5 times already. A lot of white girls date black guys just to rebel their parents! I mean, wow. I'm not saying there isn't an attraction, but the reason is fueled by a disagreement from their parents.

2. She said that he has "great muscles". Hmm, wow. I really don't blame her for that, because there are lot of black men who have exeptional...um...accents.

Well...moving on.
(Megan Goode is not a good example, but
I had to post this picture)
I anways wanted to ask white men why they don't like black women. I'm not saying that there are absolutely no white men who like black women, but it's very hard to find any with that preference. I blame most of it on the black women. The way that the majority of us act. When people think of black women, the automatic response is LOUD, GHETTO, DEMANDING, and BOSSY.
I really can't explain how angry it makes me feel to see women who act so ignorant and boisterous. I just want to go up and ask them why do they continue this behavior? It doesn't make them look intelligent at all. Do they understand that it makes all of us intelectual and respectable black girls have to work even harder not to be known as that loud black girl.
Believe it or not, it is in fact harder for us in important interviews for jobs and ivy league colleges. We have to prove ourselves that we can be an asset to society. It is a very frustrating thing because some people think that they have to treat me a little different than everyone else because I'm black.

(sigh) I'm off topic, but this is me. Personally, I'm like EFF SOCIETY. I don't care about how others think about me, and I would rather do things that are not the norm for the average teen. I love all different kind of guys. White, black, korean, hispanic, emo/punk, goth, sk8r, nerd, and chill. I just don't like the undertoned discrimination that goes on.

Hott emo guy :)
Anyway, I think that's why white guys kind of overloook black girls...because of the stereotypes. Black boys call me a "valley girl" because I am able to hit it off with pretty much anyone, regardless of race. Usually it's supposed to be an insult, but I take it in a different way. To them, it means that I think I'm too good for them (which may be true) but I choose to take the name to a different perspective.

FYI he is the cutest thing I have ever seen -->

This post was not aimed to judge or offend anyone, just to spill out the thoughts that were raping (sorry for the innappropriate use of words) my mind :)  Please leave comments because I want to know eveyones perspective on this post.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, VERY interesting post. I don't live in the U.S. so I've never been privy to this sort of behavior. Where I live (in New Zealand) there are Europeans NZers and then there are Maori, the native settlers of NZ. I have seen young Maoris dating white NZers, and it's not exclusive to just white girls dating the Maori either.

    While I never considered it before, I think what you say (about the images of black women being loud, ghetto etc.) probably does carry some weight. I can't think of any other reason why white guys don't date black girls. But to look at it from the flip side, why don't black girls choose to date white guys either? (Obviously excluding you :P) Very thought-provoking post. You've got my brain in knots. You should do some sort of survey on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, the picture you've posted of the 'forbidden' relationship isn't downloading for some reason; I'm curious, what couple is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on. But the situation has like a thousand different aspects. I'm with you a 100% but what bothers ME the most is when black guys say "I ONLY date white women." I hate it when people restrict who they date based solely on race. It's like the dating world doesn't even depend on a person's heart or personality any more.
    But getting to that point, I think that the main reason is just a culture divide (especially here in the south). And i don't think it's just a matter of "black vs. white" either. It's interracial relationships as a whole. When I was talking to Julio I was REALLY surprised by just how much he didn't know about black people and I was surprised by how much I didn't know about hispanics. Like it's crazy to think how much I hated racism, and yet I stereotyped so much about his heritage. The problem with America (and a lot of the world) is that we walk around with mental stereotypes about other races and because of those stereotypes, we never get anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and by the way: that picture at the top is from one of my favorite movies. I ALWAYS watch it when it comes on! It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete